Our story so far
The “Anglican-Methodist Glenwood Home South Canterbury Trust Board” was formed in 1957 in response to a growing need within the district for an addtional specially designed facility for retired and elderly folk. Peter Woodnorth and Michael Gresson, two well known local citizens on the newly established Glenwood Board, were instrumental in moving the project forward and supervising the planning of the new home on a parcel of land
donated by the Woodnorth family in what is now known as Glenwood Avenue.
Salvation Army playing Christmas Carols - 1964.
The new Home, named Glenwood in recognition of Peter Woodnorth, was opened in September 1964 welcoming 20 residents.
A downstairs wing, catering for an additional 8 people, was opened a few years later,
Then, in the early 1970’s, a major undertaking was the building of the Glenwood retirement village comprising 17 one bedroom cottages designed for independent living on the land to the north of the home.
A multi-milion dollar redevelopment in 2005 saw two new wings built to meet hospital standards.
This development added 16 extra rooms with ensuites, a new reception and administration area, staff offices and some service rooms.
We also added a lounge, a wonderfully sunny annexe known as “Sunshine Alley” and a pleasant sheltered enclosed courtyard.
Residents first Christmas - 1964.
At the same time, the whole of the existing home was refurbished with bedrooms being extended in size, and ensuites or shared ensuites added.
In 2014 individual heat pumps were installed in every bedroom and a new ventilation system was installed throughout the complex.
Responding to the needs of the community for more hospital beds in South Canterbury, Glenwood received Ministry of Health certification in mid 2016 to provide hospital level of care in our facility.
The Board continues to look ahead and plan for improvements to keep abreast of trends in the industry and to cater for the needs and expectations of our residents and their families.